Answered By: Juliana Morley Last Updated: Aug 10, 2017 Views: 94
Off-campus access to library resources is limited to currently registered students, currently employed faculty and staff, and faculty emeriti. Alumni are authorized for off-campus access to selected databases. See the instructions listed in the description of each alumni database. Off-campus access for other users is strictly prohibited by license agreements.
- A status of "registered" is determined by the Registrar. Note that if a student has not registered and paid for classes by the first week of term, the student will no longer be registered for the course.
- A status of "employed" is determined by Human Resources (for staff) or the Provost Office (for faculty).
- A status of "alumni" is determined by Alumni Relations.
How to Access Library Resources from Off-Campus
When you click on a library resource from off-campus, you will see the university login page (see image below) and be prompted to enter your NetID and Password.
If you have successfully logged in with your NetID and password but do not have access to the selected resource, you will see the Off-Campus Library Access page (see image below). This means that you are not eligible for access. Please follow the instructions on the page.
Troubleshooting Off-Campus Access to Library Resources
You are not accessing the library resource properly.
- Make sure you are accessing library resources from the library website, not through another website or from a Google search.
- Make sure you are able to see the university login page and successfully login.
You can see the university login page but cannot log in.
- To confirm you are using the correct NetID information, log into your student or employee account.
- Use the same NetID information when accessing library resources.
- If you do not know your NetID information, use the "Forgot your NetID or password?" link in the login page.
- Alumni may need to go to the IT Helpdesk to get their NetID information, if the above procedure does not work.
You logged in with your NetID but are seeing the Off-Campus Library Access page.
- If you are seeing the Off-Campus Library Access page, there is nothing wrong with your NetID information. However, you are not authorized for off-campus access to library resources.
- For students, verify that you are currently registered for a class. In your student account, you should see that this task has been completed.
- If you just registered for a class today, try accessing library resources tomorrow morning.
- For employees and alumni, verify that you are employed by Biola or are an alumni member trying to access one of the selected resources for alumni.
- Please follow the instructions on the Off-Campus Library Access page.
The resource has a limited number of users.
- Some library resources have limits on the number of users who can be connected at one time. In some cases, the source can only be used by one person.
- If this pertains to you, you will get a message indicating that the resources is in use by someone else, or something to that effect.
- In cases like these, the library may want to purchase another copy of the resource. If you have verified that the source has a limited number of users and you need immediate access, contact the Reference Desk at 562-903-4838.
Access to a particular resource may not be working.
- Check to see if there are any instructions for accessing the database or ebook, if applicable.
- If you cannot log into one resource, try accessing another resource.
- If you can access other resources, it's most likely a problem with that particular resource.
- Contact the Reference Desk at 562-903-4838.
You may have filtering software, which is blocking access (this is uncommon).
- On rare occasion, users may have filtering software, such as Covenant Eyes, that is blocking access.
- Override the blocked website or configure the software to allow access.
Ask a Question
Chat with us, call, text, or submit your question below.